The Bahamas, one of my favorite places to visit in the Caribbean. This cluster of islands located in the Caribbean, has some of the best beaches and waters in the world. The stunning turquoise colored water attracts millions of visitors from all over the world. Today, I am sharing the ultimate travel guide to the Bahamas including what to do and where to eat which will help you plan your first trip to the islands.
The Bahamas is conveniently located in the Caribbean and the major airport is in Nassau. The Bahamas consists of 16 major islands. Nassau, Exuma, and Bimini Islands are some of the more popular ones amongst tourists.
PREPARING FOR THE TRIP
The Bahamas is a great place to visit any time of the year, unless there is a major storm coming, such as a hurricane. I know the Caribbean islands are popular spots especially during Spring/Summer break and then mid-December to mid-April, when it is cold and snowy up North.
Having said that, the above mentioned are peak season and will most likely cost more to visit and have larger crowds. End of April and October are off-season months and a good time to visit, in my opinion.
Other things to know for your trip to the Bahamas:
- English is the official language of the Bahamas
- The Bahamian Dollar is the official currency, however, the U.S. dollar is widely accepted, so you really don’t need to exchange currency if you are visiting from the U.S.
- If you are visiting from the U.S. or North America, you can connect your electronic tools directly, without a convertor plug
- Here are some things you should pack for your trip the Bahamas: beach hat, swimsuit, makeup/toiletries bag, waterproof phone pouch, waterproof fanny pack, cute beach coverup, waterproof action camera, and a good sunscreen.
WHERE TO STAY
It can be challenging trying to figure out which island to stay in, especially if this is your first trip to the Bahamas. Just to give you a little background, Nassau is the capital of the Bahamas and easily accessible from major U.S. airports. So naturally, Nassau is one of the most popular island to stay in during your trip. Harbour Island and the Exumas are also great options to stay at if you want to escape the large crowds.
- Atlantis Bahamas– $250+ per night- 5 stars resort, great option for first timers, offers all the fun without leaving the resort. Also has some excellent dining options, water park, casino, and so much more! Entertainment for the entire family.
- Margaritaville Beach Resort Nassau– $180+ per night- 4 stars resort. Located on the beach, with trendy rooms, spa, and a water park.
- Rosewood Baha Mar– $600+ per night- 5 stars resort- ultimate luxury, perfect for honeymoon.
- Peace & Plenty– $280+ per night- located on Exuma island, excellent option if you are looking for a relaxing and peaceful vacation.
WHERE TO EAT
- Bamboo Shack– try some of the local jerk chicken and coconut tart!
- Wild Thyme Restaurant– Loved having dinner there. Fresh caught seafood is the best.
- Bahamas Rum Cake Factory– That rum cake is on another level! I suggest buying a few to take home as souvenirs.
- Tropic Breeze beach bar & grill Exuma– excellent lunch/early dinner option if you are visiting the island of Exuma.
- Cafe Matisse, Nassau– Italian cuisine offered in the heart of the island of Nassau.
- Sapodilla Bahamas– Fine dining restaurant located in Nassau, the food is amazing here!
WHAT TO DO
A trip to the Bahamas is all about sunshine, beautiful beaches, and lots of relaxation. There are also a ton of fun activities to do for everyone. I personally love water sports, whether that is jet skiing or kayaking. Here are a few things you can add to your itinerary:
- Enjoy a full day beach excursion to Rose Island in the Bahamas. Relax on the stunning beach, kayak, snorkel, enjoy a local Bahamas-style buffet lunch, and much more. Click here for the tour.
- Explore the island of Nassau via a guided ATV tour. The tour takes you to some of the famous landmarks such as Queen’s Staircase and Water Tower. Click here for the tour.
- Parasail over Cabbage Beach, in Paradise Island. Click here for the tour.
- Tour the coral reefs in a glass bottom boat, snorkel and a banana boat ride. Click here for the tour.
- Go on a speedboat ride to 3 islands, Pearl Island, Green Cay, and Rose Island for a chance to swim with cute pigs! Click here for the tour.
- Another great way to enjoy the ocean is via a catamaran sail ride. Click here for the tour.
- If water activities is not your thing, you can always explore the capital, Nassau either by this bus tour or a walking tour.
The Bahamas is a must visit for anyone who enjoys sunshine and turquoise clear water. It is one of those destinations which can be visited over and over again. I hope you find this travel guide to the Bahamas and answers all your questions about what to do, where to eat, etc. You won’t be disappointed!
SAVE ME- TRAVEL GUIDE TO BAHAMAS- WHAT TO DO & EAT
A trip to the Bahamas is totally worth it.